*** Apologies for cross postings ***
Call for Papers
20th International Conference on Electronic Publishing (Göttingen, Germany)
Positioning and Power in Academic Publishing: Players, Agents and Agendas
7-9 June 2016, Göttingen, Germany
Conference web site: www.elpub.net
Proceedings will be published open access by IOS Press. Selected papers will be published in a special edition of the Journal Information Services & Use.
The International Conference on Electronic Publishing (Elpub) reaches its 20th anniversary! Elpub 2016 continues the tradition, and brings together scholars, publishers, lecturers, librarians, developers, entrepreneurs, users and all other stakeholders interested in issues regarding electronic publishing in widely differing contexts.
Elpub 2016 will have a fresh look on the current ecosystem of scholarly publishing including the positioning of stakeholders and distribution of economic, technological and discursive power. Elpub will also open the floor for emerging alternatives in how scholars and citizens interact with scholarly content and what role dissemination and publishing plays in these interactions. Questions to be raised include: What is the core of publishing today? How does agenda setting in emerging frameworks like Open Science function and what is the nature of power of the referring scholarly discourses? How does this relate to the European and world-wide Open Science and Open Innovation agenda of funders and institutions, and how does this look like in publishing practice?
The conference will investigate the position and power of players and agents, – e.g. scholars and their networks, legacy and academia-owned publishers, research institutions and e-infrastructures – as well as their respective agendas. When looking at these interlinked topics, we aim to sharpen the view for current challenges and ways forward to reshape the publishing system. You are most welcome to join us in this exciting discussion!
Topics include but are not restricted to:
Enhancing publishing, access and reuse
- Publishing models on the move (business and funding models, tools, services and roles)
- Open access revisited (publishing solutions, mandates and compliance, licenses, recommendations, disciplinary initiatives)
- New publishing paradigm (data publishing and citation, open pre/post publication peer review, executable papers, nano-publications)
- Interoperability and standards (metadata, identifier, vocabularies, repository integration, scalability, middleware infrastructure)
Quality, trust, skills and competencies
- Research integrity (authorship and contributor roles, scientific rigor, fraud and paper retraction, reproducible research)
- Ethical and legal issues (authority, reliability, trust, copyright, privacy)
- New types of quality assurance (user comments, pre/post publication (open) peer review, etc.)
- Maintaining high quality standards (cost transparency, management and monitoring of publication costs)
Transforming digital collections
- Digital collections as data, from processing and visualisation to data citation and new types of publications
- User engagement and interaction (strategies and incentives, models for participatory projects/experiments, data quality and management, open science, crowd-sourcing)
- Reader / Information seeking behaviour and testing
- Enhanced research infrastructures and publishing environments (digital humanities, tools, workflows, interoperability, digital editions)
Data mining and knowledge discovery
- Big Data and its role in publishing (including use cases, technologies)
- Text and data mining (natural language processing, text harvesting, dynamic formatting)
- Open Data, Open Linked Data (solutions, methods, tools, open data challenges)
- Association mining (knowledge linking, discovery, presentation)
- Visualization (clustering, graphs, knowledge maps, augmented reality)
- User behavior and personalization technologies (user studies, social tagging, recommendation services)
Measuring impact and reuse
- Social networks and interaction analysis (author collaboration trends, publication trends)
- Bibliometrics and Altmetrics
- Author identifiers and profiles, citation and attribution
All submissions are subject to peer review. For each accepted paper, at least one author is expected to register for the conference to present the paper. Inclusion in the proceedings is conditional upon registration of at least one author per paper.
Moreover, upon submitting a workshop or demonstration, the proposers commit that in case their submission is accepted, all people committed to support the event (speakers, lecturers, panel members, etc.) will physically attend and coordinate it.
Papers submitted to this conference must not have been accepted or be under review by another conference or by a journal. The accepted papers will be published by IOS Press in a digital format open access conference proceedings book. Papers will be indexed in DBLP, Scopus and other abstracting and indexing services.
After the conference, selected papers will be published open access in the journal Information Services & Use (http://www.iospress.nl/journal/information-services-use/) under a Creative Commons license, subject to suggested alterations and suitable expansion of the work.
Furthermore, all accepted papers and posters will be archived at the Elpub Digital Library: http://library.elpub.net/. All contents published in the Elpub proceedings are distributed open access via the conference archive under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution license, which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided that the original work is properly cited.
Paper submission and review will be managed via the EasyChair system. To submit a paper, please use the appropriate template and follow the specific instructions available at the conference website (http://www.elpub.net).
All full papers, short papers and posters must be written in English and submitted via the EasyChair submission system in PDF format.
All submissions should be made via EasyChair. For all submissions follow the EasyChair link instructions and tools which are available at the following URL: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=elpub2016
Contributions are invited for the following categories:
- Full papers (manuscript up to 10 pages)
- Short papers (manuscript up to 6 pages)
- Posters (abstract min. of 500 words submission and then with the option to publish a manuscript between 2 – 4 pages if the authors choose).
- Workshops (abstract min. of 500 words)
- Demonstrations (abstract min. of 500)
26 October 2016 Call for Papers
1 November 2015 Submission Site Open
15 December 2015 Submission Deadline
8 February 2016 Author Decision Notification
7 March 2016 Submission of Camera Ready Version
15 April 2016 Early Bird Registration Deadline
20 May 2016 Final Registration Deadline
7-9 June 2016 Conference
Conference dates and location: 7-9 June 2016, University of Göttingen, Germany
Conference Host: University of Göttingen
General Chair: Birgit Schmidt, University of Göttingen, Germany
Programme Chair: Fernando Loizides, University of Wolverhampton, UK
Ana Alice Baptista, University of Minho,Portugal
Margo Bargheer University of Goettingen Germany
Chiara Bearzotti Max Planck Institute for Metereology Germany
George Buchanan City University London UK
Leslie Chan University of Toronto Canada
Jan Engelen Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Belgium
Paola Gargiulo CINECA Italy
Stamatios Giannoulakis Cyprus University of Technology Cyprus
Herbert Gruttemeier CNRS France
Arunas Gudinavicius Vilnius University Lithuania
Alexia Kounoudes Cyprus University of Technology Cyprus
Peter Linde Blekinge Institute of Technology Sweden
Natalia Manola University of Athens Greece
Eva Méndez Rodríguez Universidad Carlos III de Madrid Spain
Pierre Mounier Open Edition France
Panayiota Polydoratou Alexander Technological Education Institute of Thessaloniki Greece
Andreas Rauber TU Wien Austria
Laurent Romary DARIAH Germany
Anthony Ross-Hellauer University of Gottingen Germany
Andrea Scharnhorst DANS-KNAW Netherlands
John Smith University of Kent UK
Josef Steinberger University of West Bohemia Czech Republic
Niels Stern NORDEN Denmark
Xenia van Edig Copernicus Publications Germany
Jens Vigen CERN Switzerland
Marios Zervas Cyprus University of Technology Cyprus
Looking forward to your contributions to Welcoming you the conference,
Birgit Schmidt and Fernando Loizides
ElPub 2016 Chairs